Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Lady Gaga Phenomenon and Why I am a Monster!

I have a weird obsession with celebrities. I admit its pretty immature. But I really love music and artists. I purposefully stay very connected to the popular music scene- spending so much more money on itunes than necessary. So recently, when Lady Gaga started to become well known, I was naturally intrigued. At first she really kind of freaked me out. Her videos are insane and her live performances are so incredibly out there...but as I began to listen to her music, I found myself really feeling drawn to it. I will say, I think I partially liked her because she reminds me of Madonna (and I love Madonna). Before leaving for Augusta last week I bought her latest album The Fame Monster and made a GagaSwizzlePick (Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Kellie Pickler- crazy combo I know but amazing nonetheless) playlist for my drive. By the time I arrived in Augusta, I was in love with Lady Gaga...and I'm still not sure why.

I think I'm most drawn to her passion. Her "Monster Ball" (name of her concert) is a truly artistic masterpiece. As is every single one of her videos. Lady Gaga isn't just making videos that she thinks will be popular- she is obviously very focused on the artistry of it and I respect that. So, I wonder, how long will she be around? I don't know...but this I do know, she is created a loyal fan base. Her "monsters" (what she refers to her fans as) are most important to her and she is true to them. She even sent food to a group of fans waiting for her for a signing at Best Buy. Lady Gaga has been quoted many times saying that she's not in it for the fame and you can tell. She is a straight shooter. She'll never be a sell out...and that's why I think people like her. Yes, her music is catchy and risque....but its meaningful. As people continue to follow her, I think she is doing a lot for the true art of popular music. Her "musical theater" take on her videos and live performances are introducing people to an art form that they've (myself included) never really gotten to experience by listening to the top 40. So, I know this is random, but if you're not easily offended...or even if you're just interested in knowing what is popular in culture today- check out a Lady Gaga video. Watch it to appreciate the art of it. Just like you're not offended by the nakedness of the Statue of David...try to observe from a cultural perspective and I think we could all really learn to appreciate something we're not necessarily used to.

Props to you Lady Gaga-- for being original, for never selling out, and for taking me from being a creeped out observer of your music to one that has learned to appreciate that art that you create onstage.

1 comment:

Claire Middlebrooks said...

I loved this. Absolutely loved this....and I kinda love you, too. :)